One of the great Homeopaths to share with his colleagues was James Tyler Kent (1849 – 1916) . He has become most notable for his use of higher centisimal potencies and his Repertory. But Kent was also a leader in his day of the importance of mental symptoms and generalizing less. He focused more on the particulars of the case in order to differentiate remedies.
Kent lecturered at many of the colleges and at the request of his many students several volumes of his lectures have been compiled. His Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy and Lesser Writings are filled with gems of homeopathic understanding. He really understood the nature of man and dis-ease and expressed it well. I want to share a few of his precepts from his Lesser Writings with you. I think you will see the importance of his work in reading just a few.
- You cannot divorce Medicine and Theology. Man exists all the way down, from his innermost Spiritual, to his outermost Natural.
- A truth, on any plane, presented to different men, is accepted or rejected by each according to the good or evil of his mind.
- The external man is but an outward expression of the internal; so the results of disease (symptoms) are but the outward expression of the internal sickness.
- Everything is harmoniously working in the well man. Consider the man, heal the sick.
- If you loose the attitude of mind which seeks the good of the patient you will loose your Homeopathy.
- Those who have tested homeopathy and it is a failure have only exposed their own ignorance.
- A physician’s attitude in performing his duty to the sick, is different from that of any other person. He has a different sphere from that of the ordinary man. This is a thousand times amplified in Homeopathy. One who has entertained that peculiar “circumcision of the heart”, always looking to the good of the patient, never thinking of the criticism of man, acquires an ability to say what is right to do. He establishes a garment of righteousness.
- If there were no Idiosyncrasy there would be no Homeopathy. Every individual is susceptible to certain things; is susceptible to sickness, and equally susceptible to cure.
- Cure rests in the degree of susceptibiliness.
- Remedies operate as by contagion. He caught the disease, and catches the cure.
- You must see and feel the internal nature of your patient as the artist sees and feels the picture he is painting. He feels it. Study to feel the economy, the life, the soul.
- Memorizers have no perception; they can only remember what they see, and they see only the surface.
- Memory is not knowledge until it is comprehended and used; then grows the ability to perceive.
- Understand the remedy first, the keynotes last.
- The physician who violates his conscience, destroys his ability to perceive.
- What appears to be intuition comes from using that which is in the understanding.
- Man cannot be made sick or be cured except by some substance as ethereal in quality as the Vital Force.
- It is unthinkable to speak of Motion or Force without a simple, primitive substance. Force, or action of a nothing is unthinkable.
- If you do not use your Homeopathy you will loose it. This is a responsibility so great that where one has gone into truth and does not make use of his knowledge, he will become like Egypt of old.
- The disease is not to be named but to be perceived; not to be classified but viewed, that the very nature of it may be discovered.
- Throw aside all theories, and matters of belief and opinion, and dwell in simple fact.
- The human mind should not be burdened with technicalities. They destroy description, and close the understanding.
- Materia Medica never inspires perception. The physician must have the love of it’s use, and he becomes wise in proportion as he loves his use, and in proportion as he lives uprightly with his patients; that is, desire to heal them; beautify their souls. Can the physician, who does not love his neighbor as himself, get into this position?
These are filled with great wisdom. Let them inspire you to become the very best homeopath you can be. Incorporate them into your life. They will help you more than anything else I could ever recommend to you.
Blessings, Robert Field
PS If you have a favorite, please leave a comment below about it. Thanks.